Re:ChordMode Needs Work

From: Ed Ardzinski
Subject: Re:ChordMode Needs Work
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 13:47:36 +0000

I think others have pointed out that slashes should ONLY used to
indicate bass notes. However, the Lilypond chord scheme ignores this
(as well as using a chord notation system that is completely
unfamiliar to most modern jazz instrumentalists).

The slash in in a superscript, and appears, at least to me, to be quite distinct from a slash used to denote an alternate bass note. While not ideal perhaps, I balance the frustration with the fact that without Lilypond I'd still be scratching things out by hand. Which is to say, not at all.

I still haven't figured out how to use the Chord Name Exceptions feature, but apparently you can alter the way the chords are displayed to suit your needs. I think the example shows a sus 4 chord as a "waaaah" chord (sounds like a guitarist I work with who used to call a major 7th "the California chord"...).

So far the only two chords that I've been disappointed about are the Half-diminished (would rather have it notated as m7b5) and the "9 (add 13)", which I would rather seen notated as just a 13th. I suspect these are cultural differences between European practice and American practice.

But again, there appears to be a way to do this, so I'm not going to call it a bug or shortcoming. The shortcoming is my understanding.

By the way, I'm using 2.6.5, and b :7.9+ gives me B7/#9 (with the chord alteration in superscript).