using oneVoice vs force-hshift in polyphany and alternatives

From: Stephen
Subject: using oneVoice vs force-hshift in polyphany and alternatives
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:54:01 -0500

Sure, the notes are in the right place. The interaction between the various parts is baffling though. Using \oneVoice to set the notes over one another seems to make the stems go up; \stemDown erases the effect of \oneVoice and \oneVoice cancels \stemDown. Apparently \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #0.0 accomplishes the what I want without side effects.

What is \oneVoice meant to be used for? Can someone list separately all the things it does?

Finally, I don't understand the scoping rules at play here. How come I can comment out some of the stem overrides while leaving them in effect?

Stephen