Re: Extraneous Text Notation Placement (Verse, Chorus, Bridge, etc.)

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Extraneous Text Notation Placement (Verse, Chorus, Bridge, etc.)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:33:51 +0200

You can easily typeset a text annotation below or above a note
using
c^"Text above" or c_"Text below"
respectively, as described in the section of Text scripts in the
manual. See also the section on Text marks. However, your example code below doesn't include any chords, so I can't say how that solves your problem.

Note also that \markup{ "Verse 1" } is completely equivalent to "Verse 1". The only reason to use \markup is if you want to do
some fancy layout, like changing the font size/shape or including
music symbols or ...

  /Mats

Quoting bryan murdaugh <address@hidden>:

I'm using 2.8.1-1.  This is what I tried....

(this yields an error)
verseonemelody = \relative c {
   \clef treble
   \key c    \major
   \time 6/8
   r4.\markup { "Verse 1" } r4 e'8 g4.~ g8 f8 d8 e16 g16~ g4~ g4

(this puts the markup inline with the text)
verseonelyrics = \lyricmode {
   \set stanza = "1. " {
   \markup { "Verse 1" }
   Our Sav -- ior has ris -- en.

I was able at one point, though I do not know how, to get the markup to
appear between the staves and the chord line, but I can't seem to reproduce
that behavior.  I'm very confused about where the \markup keyword is
appropriate.

Thanks,
bryan