multi \transpose in old crook- trumpet parts - a solution

From: alanvw
Subject: multi \transpose in old crook- trumpet parts - a solution
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:15:52 +1200

After considerable mucking about I offer this solution for those who have similar problems :-
The music - Dvorak's "Symphonie.IX.Sinfonia"  E Moll - Mi Minore IV movement Opus 95.
The Part - Trumpet II (E, Es, C)

The first half is for E crook, then 2 measures with Es crook, then 16 measures with E crook, 16 meas. with C crook then the rest in E. (diabolical)

1. Enter all the code as per the original.

2. Clone a copy and file under a suitable name.

3. \transpose Es and C measures into E (as E is the dominant crook)
   This is accomplished by inserting the code below at the appropriate place.

        \transpose e es {
        \relative c'' ( notes in es}}

         \transpose e c {
        \relative c'' ( notes in c}}

4. Produce an FTP file, then change the note code in the clone copy
    to the new E transposed notes. All the code should be suitable to play  with a trumpet in E at this stage.

5. All that remains is to \transpose the whole part to suit the desired instrument ie:- Trumpet in Bes or A with the code-
        \transpose bes e {
        \relative c'' ( notes in e}}
Don't forget to remove the temporary code in 3 above.

In this example I would have preferred to transpose to suit trumpet in A & Bes as I don't cope very well with lots of sharps and flats.
regards, Alan Albury-Ward