Re: Slurs in 2.8

From: Artur Rataj
Subject: Re: Slurs in 2.8
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:15:16 +0200

Hello.

I guess there might be some bugs: the 'minimum-length parameter
affects slurs made with ( ), but not slurs made with \( \). Byt the
way, what I thought is a slur, is perhaps a tie.

I know rather little about the music notation, this is why I do not
want to send the questions to the bugs list. I am just interested
whether the ties are ok or not. Perhaps they are so unequal on
purpose, if yes then I am simply interested in what that purpose is.

As of the small tie, I asked because I do not know if it is not too
small in comparison to the other objects -- it is much smaller than in
2.6, but perhaps not, as I said, I know rather little about the music
notation.

I am not sure if I can send .png files to this list, so but sending
the .png, I do some ASCII images:

These are two chords, exactly the same tones, connected with ties, and
the ties connect the notes symmetrically, relatively to the vertical
line. The ties are as follows:

  *    medium tie, reaching the middle of the note head, over
 ----
 ----
  *    long tie, going past the note head, over

|----
|-*-- short tie, not reaching the note head, under
|-*-- short tie, not reaching the note head, under
|-*-- medium tie, reaching the middle of the note head, under
|---

While I guess why there are short and medium ties, I do not understand
what is the long tie doing in the middle of the other ties. I am just
interested why this is done so.

The ties were equal in 2.6, and also the small tie was much larger,
and they are as I described in both versions 2.8.1 and 2.9.2.

Artur