Stem lengths in 2.8.1

From: A P
Subject: Stem lengths in 2.8.1
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 01:07:05 +1000 (EST)

I've just returned to lilypond after a long time
(version 2.0.1!) and have noticed in version 2.8.1
that the stem lengths seem to be a bit shorter, at
least in the following example (from Telemann) :

\version "2.8.1"

upper = \relative c'' {
  \clef treble
  \key bes \major
  \time 4/4
  bes16 a bes c  bes c a bes  c bes c d  c d bes c |
  d c d ees  d ees c d  ees d ees f  ees f d ees |
     }

lower = \relative c {
  \clef bass
  \key bes \major
  \time 4/4
  bes8 d g f ees c f f, |
  bes bes' bes, bes' ees, es' ees, ees' |
}

\score {
  \new PianoStaff <<
    \set PianoStaff.instrument = "Cembalo"
    \new Staff = "upper" \upper
    \new Staff = "lower" \lower

  \layout { }
}

In the output of 2.8.1, the stems of the semiquavers
in the upper clef appear to be shorter than those in
the output from 2.0.1 by about the height of a ledger
line.  Unfortunately, I don't have the original
(2.0.1) code, but there was nothing unusual about it.

Was this a conscious decision on the part of the
developers or a by-product of some other changes?

Thanks,

Aloke