Re: UTF-8 encoding problems

From: Graydon
Subject: Re: UTF-8 encoding problems
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 20:02:16 -0400

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 04:15:35PM -0700, jimmy2 scripsit:
> Here is an example, e with accent aigue: é.  It appears as it is
> supposed to in my usual editors (pico, nedit).  On the other hand, in
> a working example with German accents which I downloaded from
> lilypond, the special characters don't look like what they are
> supposed to represent in these editors.  I need to figure out how to
> generate the characters I want in the correct encoding.  Do you have
> any suggestions?

Are you sure you're viewing them in a console which is capable of
handling the necessary glyphs?  (konsole, from KDE, certainly is, but I
can't speak to much else.)

There are two obvious ways --

One is to use the 'Multi_key' feature of X11 and compose the characters
-- this is a handy thing to map the keyboard "Windows" keys to -- as
Multi_key + char + char; to get e accent aigue, I would type Windows + e
+ '.

The other is to use the Unicode character picker in Open Office,
(Insert->Special Character) which will certainly give you the right code
point.