Re: UTF-8 encoding problems

From: Josiah Boothby
Subject: Re: UTF-8 encoding problems
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 08:52:47 -0700

IOn 4/22/06, Graydon <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 04:15:35PM -0700, jimmy2 scripsit:
> > Here is an example, e with accent aigue: é.  It appears as it is
> > supposed to in my usual editors (pico, nedit).  On the other hand, in
> > a working example with German accents which I downloaded from
> > lilypond, the special characters don't look like what they are
> > supposed to represent in these editors.  I need to figure out how to
> > generate the characters I want in the correct encoding.  Do you have
> > any suggestions?
>
> Are you sure you're viewing them in a console which is capable of
> handling the necessary glyphs?  (konsole, from KDE, certainly is, but I
> can't speak to much else.)

It may also be necessary to check that the console-based editors are
set up to use UTF-8. Emacs, for instance, is not unicode aware in the
default Debian package, so other things have to be installed. I seem
to recall something coming up on this list describing how to enable
UTF-8 in vim... I think this was about a year ago. It will also be
necessary to use a terminal emulator that supports UTF-8 (and is using
a unicode font).

It's at times like these that I miss having the TeX capabilities at my
disposal...