Re: uncertain about MIDI dynamic scaling

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: uncertain about MIDI dynamic scaling
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 00:01:57 +0200

Usually, we have had complaints about that the
dynamic range was too large, so the silent dynamics
were inaudible. So, it may happen that the default
range has been compressed compared to early versions
of LilyPond.

  /Mats

Sean Reed wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible that the scaling on the MIDI dynamics is off somehow?

I found a few mentions of this in the archives but no specific discussions of this particular issue.

I noticed today after not using MIDI output from LilyPond for several versions (and months) that the differences in the volume between dynamics don't seem as noticeable as I remembered them from earlier versions.

As a test, I rendered a MIDI file of this lily code:
{c8\ppp d\pp e\p f\mp g\mf a\f b\ff c\fff}

and opened it in Digital Performer and looked at the events list.
The velocities in the events list are:
53 - 62 - 69 - 77 - 85 - 94 - 100  - 107

I would have expected them to be more like
16 - 32 - 48 - 64 - 80 - 96 - 112 - 128

Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks for any hints.

Best,