Re: Markup text to the left of first chord on ChordNames staff

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Markup text to the left of first chord on ChordNames staff
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 20:50:31 +0200

The manual includes a direct example of how to change the minimum
vertical spacing allocated to a Staff. To specify a fixed vertical
space for the Staff, just use the same syntax but with the property called Y-extent instead of minumum-Y-extent. Here is a full example, which shows both advantages and disadvantages of doing what you ask
for.

\version "2.8.0"

<<\new ChordNames \chordmode { c4:7 c4:7 c4:7 c4:7 }
\new Staff  {
 \override Staff.VerticalAxisGroup #'Y-extent = #'(-4 . 4)
 c'^"Some text" c''^"Some more text" c''' c'''' }

  /Mats

Quoting Jennifer Clark <address@hidden>:

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
In contrast to the previous people who answered the questions, I would say that you cannot directly apply the same idea to move a whole line of chords. See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2006-03/msg00411.html
for a hint on how to solve the problem.

Thanks for the reply Mats, I've checked the post and followups, and had a look at the manual page and reference, but to be honest I don't really understand how to approach this, even with that information. Is there a specific command I can use to enable this?

Jennifer