Re: Which frontend?

From: Eyolf Ostrem
Subject: Re: Which frontend?
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 11:02:57 +0200

On Tue 02 May 2006 08:31, Bertalan Fodor wrote:
> Well, I'm a bit disappointed about what you said about the
> jEdit+LilyPondTool set.
> - I can confirm that setting up everything may be more than just to
> apt-get something. However, as far as I see you may get LilyPondTool
> running by just downloading Java, jEdit and making three clicks with
> your mouse in jEdit. Perhaps you also need to configure some properties,
> but that's quite natural.

I'm sorry if I have offended anyone. I certainly didn't mean to be negative
about the program, just to point out that (1) it didn't work for me, because
of all the java errors I got. As I said, this may not be the fault of
Lilypond-mode, but as long as all the nice functions don't work, all I have
is a 15 Mb download... - especially since (2) I've found a tool that works
perfectly to my satisfaction in emacs/lilypond-mode. This is not to say that
other equivalent tools are bad. I did notice the features you mention, and
found them very useful, especially the macro/template function, and the error
report (although most of the errors I make are 'typos' - writing a wrong note
value here and there - which a syntactical error checker will not find).
But a lyqi-mode - if you can implement that, that would be a great step
forward. (and to continue my previous parenthesis: a great enhancement to the
lyqi-mode, or a lyqi-like (lookalike?) mode, would be to have a note
following a dotted note automatically set to the next shorter value (e2. >
f4) unless it's the basic time unit (in 3/4: e2. > f2.). )

I promise that I'll have another go at jEdit whenever a new version of java
comes out for my distro :-)

Eyolf

--
Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance.
                -- Sam Brown, "The Washington Post", January 26, 1977