Re: Staff: vertical spacing, reduce chord name distance

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Staff: vertical spacing, reduce chord name distance
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 16:48:58 +0200

Quoting Daniel Johnson <address@hidden>:

Thomas Scharkowski wrote:
IIRC in previous versions I could reduce the distance between a staff and chord symbols by this command:

\set Staff.minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-4 . 1)

In 2.8.1 this is:
\override Staff.VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-4 . 1)

or did I get something wrong?
Reducing the space this way dos not work here, increasing does work.

Thank you
Thomas
Windows XP

You can see what the required code is here; you can also see a bug related to it:
http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-lilypond%40gnu.org/msg07067.html

In short, you need to set minimum-Y-extent to false, and then set Y-extent to an absolute value instead. But you may encounter stem-length errors on beamed notes. As far as I can tell, this problem has not yet been addressed, even in CVS. The bug was introduced when the VerticalAxisGroup interface was added to the Staff context about midway through the 2.7 development cycle.

If you try the example in http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2006-04/msg00745.html you will realize why this "solution" almost never is what you want. Are you sure that the reason that you didn't see any difference in the example starting this thread was that something in the stave (the G clef or a high note or a text script or ...) was placed so high
above the stave that it was more limiting than the minimum-Y-extent
setting?

  /Mats