Re: Tritone anomaly

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Tritone anomaly
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 00:22:48 -0700

On 2-May-06, at 11:59 PM, Vivian Barty-Taylor wrote:

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, or been
bothered by it, but there's a slightly irritating
anomaly when entering the interval of a tritone
(augmented fourth.) When in \relative mode and using
the interval in a melodic line, LilyPond assumes that
the tritone goes down.

False. LilyPond assumes that the interval is less than a fifth. In other words,
c fis   % goes up
c ges  % goes down

Augmented fourths and diminished fifths are *not* the same in \relative mode.

 However, when using it in a chord LilyPond assumes it goes up!

I'm not familiar with chord mode; now that you know how \relative works, are you certain this is a bug? If so, could you send a small example that demonstrates it?

 I haven't
found any mention of this in the documentation,
incidentally (although it may be there - I haven't
looked that carefully.)

Please look carefully before sending an email. If this info is lacking, then
http://lilypond.org/web/devel/participating/documentation-adding

Cheers,
- Graham