Setting up vocal scores with uniformly-spaced staves

From: Daniel Johnson
Subject: Setting up vocal scores with uniformly-spaced staves
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 16:52:15 -0700

Hello all --

I set a lot of SATB choral music, and I strive to have all my ChoirStaffs have the same distance from the text. This can be a challenge when the alto part goes low or the tenor part goes high. I used to set each Staff's minimum-Y-extent to ##f and Y-extent to a number-pair, and this served me well for a long time. Now, however, the stem-lengths of beamed notes are sometimes miscalculated if Y-extent is absolutely set (this happened partway through the 2.7 development cycle). I've figured out an alternate method to do this and it works quite nicely. Just add the following to your layout block:

\layout {
   \context {
       \ChoirStaff
       \consists Vertical_align_engraver
       \accepts Lyrics
       forced-distance = #3

There are a few snags you might run into with this method. For instance, if you define Lyrics above the top staff or below the bottom one, they will be spaced excessively far from the staff if the Lyrics context is contained within the ChoirStaff context. You'll need to pull these outside the ChoirStaff in order to space them independently.

It took me quite a while to figure out how to do this, so I figured I'd save someone else the time and trouble by posting it here.

--Daniel