Re: TEX output

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: TEX output
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 11:29:10 +0200

Thorsten Mueller wrote:

I do the following steps:
1. writing a simple latex-file including lilypond source
2. compile it with lilypond-book --> ok
3. "latex lilypondbooktest001.tex" in my outputDIR --> ok
4 . dvips -h lilypondbooktest001.psfonts lilypondbooktest001.dvi
and get the following error:

This is dvips(k) 5.92b Copyright 2002 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2006.05.08:0004' -> |lpr
dvips: Font Emmentaler-13 used in file lilypondbooktest001-1.eps is not in the mapping file.
<lilypondbooktest001.psfonts><texc.pro><special.pro>. [1
<lilypondbooktest001-1.eps>]

and here I stuck. NO ps file was produced or any other output from dvips. dvips-version is 5.92b I found the mapping files "psfonts.map" (two identical files in the texmf tree) (I think that they are the files) and find there a comment not to change files directly but "updmap.conf". In that file some *.map files are included, but lilypond does not come with such a .map file to include there.

If you read the output from dvips carefully, you will notice that
the result is sent directly to lpr, i.e. to the printer. If you want
the output to a file, add a flag -o, as in the instructions in
the LilyPond manual. You can also change this default behaviour
of dvips using the texconfig utility in teTeX. This is usually the
first thing I change when I do a new installation of teTeX.

As I already said earlier, the warning about missing emmentaler
font is completely normal and does not mean that the font is
missing in the output. It's just that it's supplied in an unusual
way, so dvips doesn't realize that the font is there.

  /Mats

\Thorsten

Mats Bengtsson schrieb:

The emmentaler-20 font contains the music symbols, so
you certainly don't want to replace that one in the music
scores. Do you use the --psfonts flag to lilypond-book and
the corresponding -h flag to dvips, as instructed in the
section on "Invoking lilypond-book" in the LilyPond manual?
As pointed out at the end of the section on "Integrating
LaTeX and music" you will get a number of "error messages"
about missing fonts, still the resulting fonts will appear in
the output. Note also that all printers will not be able to
handle the resulting PS file and that you need a recent
version of ghostscript to be able to run ps2pdf successfully.

   /Mats

Thorsten Mueller wrote:

Hi Mats and list

thanks for your response.
I tried some googling to find out how to install fonts in the mapping table of dvips, and find some different sources and tried some things but nothing helps me. If you have a manual which describes that step by step, please give me a pointer to that source.

I tried to change fonts in lilypond directly but this fonts "emmentaler-20" (causing my troubles) was used also changing Lyrics.LyricText Where is this fonts used by default? Which variable do I have to change to choose another one?

I used xfig to draw some figures for a bigger work written in Latex, some time ago, and I liked it very much that all the text was influenced by my latex files, because xfig has an output called "t_pstex" separating graphics in ps-format ans text in tex-format, and I thought to find something similar in lilypond.

Thanks Thorsten.

Mats Bengtsson schrieb:

You are right that with the current lilypond-book, you cannot
set a font style in LaTeX and make that automatically affect
also the music scores. However, you can easily work around
that using find-replace. An alternative if you have several
scores and want to change the fonts in all of these with
a single change, is to make a separate file, global.ly (or
whatever you want to call it) that makes the font setting.
Then you begin each score example with
\include "global.ly"
The only inconvenience here is that lilypond-book won't
realize that it has to recompile all the scores if you make a
change in your included global.ly, so then you have to remove
all the generated lily-*.* files before rerunning lilypond-book.

For the font problem, are you sure that you follow the
instructions in the manual exactly?

  /Mats

Thorsten Mueller wrote:

Hi Mats,

I forgot an point: with lilypond-book I get a font (emmentaler-20) which causes errors for dvips,
I did not get it working to install this font properly.

/Thorsten

Thorsten Mueller schrieb:

Hi Mats,

I want to include it in Latex-files. I know it is also possible with ps
format, but I want to control font-style from latex.
Any other solution to combine latex and lilypond?

/Thorsten