Tutorial vs. actual printout

From: Rick Hogg
Subject: Tutorial vs. actual printout
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 14:24:09 -0700 (PDT)

Quick question about examples in the tutorial:  When I try out some of them, instead of concise little snippets, they take up the entire width of the page.  For example, page 34-35 has "Piano and melody with lyrics":
\version "2.7.39"
melody = \relative c'' {
\clef treble
\key c \major
\time 4/4
a b c d
}
text = \lyricmode {
Aaa Bee Cee Dee
}
upper = \relative c'' {
\clef treble
\key c \major
\time 4/4
a b c d
}
lower = \relative c {
\clef bass
\key c \major
\time 4/4
a2 c
}
\score {
<<
\new Voice = "mel" {
\autoBeamOff
\melody
}
\new Lyrics \lyricsto mel \text
\new PianoStaff <<
\new Staff = "upper" \upper
\new Staff = "lower" \lower

\layout {
\context { \RemoveEmptyStaffContext }
}
\midi { \tempo 4=60 }
}

%%%%%
Now, in the documentation, the picture of this is small, looks normal, etc.  When I do it the measure is as wide as my page.  Why is that?

Thanks