Re: Beginners first attempt

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: Beginners first attempt
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 15:30:26 -0700

Colin Wilding wrote:
There are quite a few ways in which you could make your life easier here, I
think.

1.  You should be able to use variables for chords - you didn't put the
contents of Chords.ly in your email so I can't see why it didn't work; a
definition like this works ok:

gDown = { <gis dis' gis' b' dis'' gis''>4 \downbow }

Once the chord is in a variable you can't then attach markup to it later
(and you have to put the \downbow in the definition too).
Sure you can:

<< { s<x>^\markup{ ... } } { ... \gDown ... } >>

Where <x> is some time value. If you want to move the markup relative to gDown just add more "s" values before s<x>.

This may also work for the downbow but I don't have time to research it right not. (Playing the clarinet for "Rhapsody in Blue" in a couple of hours).

Paul Scott