Re: clef transposition: tenor -> bass

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: clef transposition: tenor -> bass
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 18:42:14 +0100

In message <address@hidden>, Roman <address@hidden> writes
I think it's much more easier now to tranpose the notes in my head and afterwards write them directly as a staff in bass clef, as Mats Brengtsson proposed. My Idea was to first write the notes in tenor clef so that I can check if I did everything wright on an outprint. Afterwars I wanted to transpose everything with one command into a bass clef staff with appropriate transposed notes in the bass clef staff, but that doesn't seem to work this way.

Tenor is NOT a transposing clef for the Bb Trombone! A concert middle C is a bass clef middle C (one ledger line up) is a tenor clef middle C (fourth staff line up).

The only thing I can think of is you're muddling it with "treble clef in Bb", where the trombone IS a transposing instrument, but a simple \transpose c' bf (or the reverse) and the use of the "treble_8" clef will deal with that.

Cheers,
Wol
as Lies-to-People.