Re: German text characters

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: German text characters
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 08:13:26 -0500

From: "bears388" <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 10:00 AM

Dear Both,

Coincidentally found the answer to my problem by reading the maillist archive and fiddling around! It's very similar to the solution given by Stephen, to whom many thanks! Here's my take:-

Write the input file in Notepad, or, if you've written input in Lilypad, cut and paste the Lilypad entries to Notepad. For saving the file: use Save As ...; in the "Save as Type" change to "All Files" (this is very important as

Once I unchecked 'Hide extensions for known file types' under Folder Options, I no longer had to choose 'All Files' in NotePad.

Stephen

the Text Document (*.txt)option will give you a file called *.ly.txt which won't generate a PDF); type in the full name of the file (for example: "Cantata bwv1.ly")and finally change the "Encoding" to uft-8 and click the Save button. The resulting file will be a .ly file and double clicking it will generate the file with readable utf-8 characters.

Just to be sure it works, I've tried it on two files: my own cantata input and an Schubert song example. This should do the trick for all those people who've been having problems with generating the correct PDF text, be it Headers or Lyrics.

The "foreign" characters can be input using the numeric keyboard and the alt key + 0 + Unicode number. The รถ I was complaining to Graham about is Alt + 0 + 246. If you want, or need, I can e-mail the list I downloaded from the web.

Thanks Graham and Stephen.
Regards,
Michael

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen" <address@hidden> To: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>; "bears388" <address@hidden>