subdivided beams partially successful

From: James Wilkinson
Subject: subdivided beams partially successful
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 16:46:56 -0400

I'm working on a piece that has a long run of triplet 16th notes. In the original they are printed in groups of six which are subdivided into subgroups of three. I.e. the top beam covers six stems, and there are two bottom beams, one for the first three notes and one for the second three notes. In trying to duplicate that with version 2.7.37 of LilyPond I did this

\set subdivideBeams = ##t
\set Score.beatLength = #(ly:make-moment 1 8)

What I got was eight separate groups of three, which is exactly what I would expect (and got) from taking out the "subdivideBeams" and leaving the rest.

Interestingly, if I change the make-moment to 1 4, I get what I expect both times: subdivideBeams gives me groups of 12 in two subgroups of six, and without that I get plain groups of 12.

I obviously don't know enough about this.
Jimmy Wilkinson            | Professor of Computer Science
address@hidden          | The College of Charleston
(843) 953-8160             | Charleston      SC        29424
http://www.cs.cofc.edu/~jimmy

If there is one word to describe me, that word would have to be "profectionist".