Re: chordnames vs lyrics problem

From: Simon Dahlbacka
Subject: Re: chordnames vs lyrics problem
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:32:27 +0300

My best proposal is to typeset the ChordNames below the
lyrics. When there is lyrics, you move the ChordNames up
and the lyrics down (I would have used the extra-offset
property, but it seems that you have found another option).

I found another option, yes, but it did not work (Y-offset that is)
But thanks for steering me in the right direction,

it seems changing Y-offset also affects surrounding grobs, while extra-offset just moves the one affected.

(Looking again in the reference, the extra-offset seems obvious now: "This offset is added just before outputting the symbol, so the typesetting engine is completely oblivious to it. "
but that Y-offset affects surrounding grobs is not obvious from the reference (for me at least) "The vertical amount that this object is moved relative to its Y-parent")

I now solved it by typesetting the ChordNames below the lyrics, and
tweak the chord with
\once \override ChordName #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 10)

and tweaking each of the lyric verses with
 \override LyricText #'extra-offset = #'(0 . -4)

and after that I get the output I want (see attachment)

I mention this in the event it benefits another user..

regards,

Simon

Simon Dahlbacka wrote:

> I'm trying to typeset a SATB piece, with chords for piano
>
> The problem:
>
> the sopranos partially have their own lyrics (three verses, so it
> takes a lot of room)
>
> If I put the ChordNames above the lyrics, the placement of the chords
> looks rather stupid where the sopranos sing the same as the rest,
> I tried putting the cords under the lyrics and tweak the cordnames up
> above the lyrics where necessary, but this also moves the lyrics up
>
> I tried putting the ChordNames under the lyrics, and moving up, but
> this was not successful.
>
> * I tried doing the moving with
> \once \override ChordNames.ChordName #'Y-offset = #6
> and
> %\once \override ChordNames.ChordName #'Y-offset = #-6
>
> respectively
>
> Attached2, and chords above with tweak, and chords below with tweak
>

> What I would like: I want the chordnames  "under" where there are no
> special soprano lyrics, but "over" the special soprano lyrics. How can
> I accomplish such a thing?
>
> regards,
>
> Simon
>
> PS. lily 2.8.4 on winxp