Re: barline problem

From: Dewdman42
Subject: Re: barline problem
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:56:46 -0700 (PDT)

Well, I looked up those two tools and they appear to be linux only?  Anyone
know if there are windows versions of these tools?  Seems like these tools
basically do about the same thing as if I use the --png option with lilypond
to produce a png file, except that the result is output in a pagenated PDF
file.  Obviously, it would be supremely better to have a single PDF file
that displayed well on-screen and still retained all the line vector glory
for optimal printing.  My thoughts right now are that this is not possible
with Lilypond because postscript encoding is built into the very heart of
the way lilypond lays things out on the page.  That is not neccessarily a
bad thing, the print outs from Lilypond speak for themselves.  However, I do
think at this time, this is a limiting factor in producing vector-based PDF
files.  Probably the only real solutino is going to be to produce (if
someone needs it), so seperate PDF's, one for printing and one for on-screen
display..where the on-screen version either is based on the PNG, or some
other utility such as already mentioned does the conversion to bitmap for
me.  It is unfortunate that the various PDF viewers I have tried do such a
poor job of interpretting the vector graphics into 72dpi bitmaps
on-screen... or ghostscript either it would appear (which is what limits
Finale in the same way).

In the case of Oveture...the PDF's look great...and they appear to be vector
based.  The only diffierence I can surmise is that Oveture is not using
postscript in its core..its using some form of vector graphics that is more
transportable.  However its also quite likely that the postscript language
is more precise and flexible than whatever Overture is using, so I am
confident that Oveture has limitations in what can be done, albeit, more
consistently.

I guess the ultimate in Lilypond would be if it had the option of producing
the same vector data that Oveture and other non-postscript programs produce,
for situations just like this one.

In any case, back on topic..if anyone knows about those pdf2pdf tools that
run on windows without cygwin, please let me know..otherwise I am probably
giving up on this idea and will just crank out PNG files when I need to.  I
want to experiment with the Tex option someone suggested earlier also.  Its
possible that Tex is producing the generic vector data instead of postscript
also.