musicxml2ly - what is missing?

From: Dewdman42
Subject: musicxml2ly - what is missing?
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:14:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hey all.  I am very impressed with the printed output of lilypond.  I am
thinking a lot of using it for a school film scoring project I will have
this Fall. However, I still plan to use Finale for note entry, primarily so
that I can compose and arrange with finale and samplers.  I really just want
to use Lilypond for printing.

That brings us to musicXML.  My understanding is that the current python
conversion script is not a complete MusicXML converter.  Can anyone
elaborate on what is missing?  I am half thinking of rolling up my sleeves
this summer to make whatever python enhancements are needed for a more
complete MusicXML conversion to ly.  (I have a deep programming background,
not worried about about that difficulty).  Perhaps some of you can elaborate
on what specifically is missing and if the original author of this script
reads this, perhaps he can also elaborate on known issues and plans.  There
is also MusicXml 1.1 compatability which I will investigate during all of
this.

I may also incorporate the possibility of using a seperate side XML format
to automate the lilypond tweaking of a MusicXML input file.

Essentially, I want to be able to notate all my notes, articulations,
dynamics, word markings, cleffs, etc..basically all symbols...and have them
all import into ly.  But Lilypond will position everything according to its
own ruleset.  I don't plan to spend endless time in Finale moving things
around and trying to make the score look the way I want..I will do that with
Lilypond...as needed (I'm hoping not needed much).

So basically I think a system where the MusicXML provides all the
symbols...and then a 2nd XML file (format unkonwn yet) where Lilypond
specific overrides can be introduced and therefore automated into the final
ly file every time I update the finale score and export MusicXML, I want to
be able to automatically merge my lilypond hacks into the final output.

I may also try to write a script for doing part extraction/combining tasks,
given the Finale-based MusicXML as input.

In any case, any and all feedback from you guys about MusicXML->Ly
conversion in general, including the current state of affairs and wishes
from you would be appreciated.  Whatever I make I will gladly share.