Re: Pronunciation of the author's names

From: Shamus
Subject: Re: Pronunciation of the author's names
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 20:20:31 -0700

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> Well, it is pronounced as written :-)
>
> Meeting Han-Wen last time I asked him how the name `Nieuwenhuizen'
> actually does sound.  To make it short: I'll stay with `Jan' and
> `Han-Wen'.

I'll take a stab at it, though I'm no expert at this kind of thing (the
words nine, when, and zen are the American English pronunciations): :-)

Nienhuys --> nine - hyoos
Nieuwenhuizen --> nee - oo - when - hoo - zen

Note that there are no accent marks given; my best guess is that they
would fall on the second to last syllable in each case. This is also
most likely the wrong pronunciation in any case.

So how did I do? Did I get anywhere close? :-)

-- Shamus