per-system control of "empty" Staff removal?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: per-system control of "empty" Staff removal?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:29:30 -0400

Hello, all --

I'm trying to hack control of the removal of "empty" (multi-measure resting) staves on a per-system basis.
What I've come up with so far is included below.

Can anyone think of an easier or more efficient method?
Considering how many voices/staves I'd potentially have to fake this way, I'd love it if something like

        \override Score.VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-empty = ##f

actually worked (from the example, I can see that it doesn't), especially on a Staff-by-Staff basis.

Thanks!
Kieren.

%%%   CODE SNIPPET BEGINS
\version "2.9.9"