Re: Some general comments

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Some general comments
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:39:09 +0200

Graham Percival wrote:

Ian Hawthorn wrote:

1. An extra lyric line is needed for harmony parts for a few bars.

2. An extra staff and lyric line for a soloist is required for one section.

To add an extra staff, look up "ossia".  It works something like this:

{
c4 c c c
<< {c4 c c c}
\new Staff { e4 e e e }

c4 c c c
}

For more details, search the documentation and LSR. I'm not certain how to add lyrics to this, since I don't do vocal music.

It's very simple, just use \lyricsto as usual. Also, if you want the new stave
placed above the original one, you can use alignAboveContext:

\new Staff = main {
c4 c c c
<<
 {c4 c c c}
 \new Staff =extrastave { \new Voice = extra {
   \set Staff.alignAboveContext = "main" e4. e8 e e }
 }
 \new Lyrics \lyricsto extra {
   \set alignAboveContext = "extrastave" ly -- rics a -- bove
 }

c4 c c c
}

You can actually use \addlyrics as well

\new Staff = main {
c4 c c c
<<
 {c4 c c c}
 \new Staff =extrastave {
   \set Staff.alignAboveContext = "main" e4. e8 e e
 }
 \addlyrics {
   \set alignAboveContext = "extrastave" ly -- rics a -- bove
 }

c4 c c c
}

3. The lyrics for one section need to be aligned to a different part
than they are in the rest of the piece.

I believe that this point was addressed in some recent documentation work (in the 2.9 docs; not yet available in the 2.8 docs).

Read section "Switching the melody associated with a lyrics line"
which has been in the docs at least since version 2.8.0 if I remember correctly.

  /Mats