abc2ly on Windows XP

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: abc2ly on Windows XP
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 08:20:57 -0400

I've searched both google and the mailing list archives and can't
find a good answer to this question:

Is there documentation somewhere of what you have to do to run abc2ly
in Windows XP?

I remember from reading the mailing list that there's an issue with
the Python that's in the GUB, and that one has to install python
separately and make sure that abc2ly is using the separate install and
not the one in the GUB.  My ability to support non-technical users in
windows is limited, so I was hoping someone had already written
instructions for doing this.  My windows and ABC using friend says she
has not installed any version of python except the one that came with
lilypond.

A related question -- if this is indeed still the problem I read about
on the mailing list a few months ago, why?  I can understand that the
lilypond developers may not be able to fix a python bug, but why go on
including a python version that doesn't work?

Below is the ABC file that works (generates a compileable lily
file) on my LINUX installation and fails to work on her Windows
installation.   If this is some other problem than the one I vaguely
remember from the list, I'll send it to the bugs list.

file||||||||||
X:1
T:Test Title
C:A. Composer "with a quote next to it"
K:B
C D E F G
test.abc|||||||||||||

On linux, the C: line is correctly translated to:

        composer = "A. Composer \"with a quote next to it\""

On Windows, the line is translated to:

         composer = "A. Composer \\"with a quote next to it\\""

which lily 2.8.5 complains about:

abclytest.ly:3:40: error: syntax error, unexpected NOTENAME_PITCH, expecting
'='        composer = "A. Composer \\"with
                                        a quote next to it\\""
abclytest.ly:8:0: error: syntax error, unexpected '}'

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139