Re: figured bass : flat over figure

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: figured bass : flat over figure
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 21:20:15 -0700

Trent Johnston wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Scott" <address@hidden>
It looks like (even in 2.9.10) that figured bass is broken.  In addition
to preceeding
< 7 _- > with < 6 > you can also get < 7 _- > to work by putting it at
the beginning of a line.  I tried a number of different figures.  Things
seem to break when certain figures precede them.

I will file a bug report for 2.9.10 and mention the possibility of it
being in 2.8.x

Paul Scott

Hi Paul and Jean-marc,

The figured bass is working as should be in 2.9.10 and early versions with
slightly less features.

The figured bass figures are aligned so if you have a 6 4 then a 4 3 the
fours get aligned together so the  4 3 becomes 3 4. To get around this put a
spacer between the figures. For example if they are <6 4>8 <4 3>
to get rid of the alignment use instead <6 4>16 s <4 3>8.
It seems to be a little strange to put shorter intervals above longer ones but I'm sure you know figured bass better than I do. (I have only just finished my first course in chromatic harmony last week).
This is not a bug but a feature for extender lines.
Perhaps someone could mention this in the documentation before it occurs now. It didn't occur to me to read that part since I haven't needed extension lines yet but this feature of course breaks much of what is written above that.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

While we're on the subject does anyone have need for an expansion of figured bass to include the ability to (easily) mix in roman numeral analysis as well?

Paul