RE: Evolutionary User Strategery

From: Fairchild
Subject: RE: Evolutionary User Strategery
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:54:02 -0500

I wonder if the varied opinions represented in this thread are based in
differing interests and ways Lily is used.

The developer's interest is in usability of the latest stable version.

A composer's interest is in an elegant score presentation of a very few
scores, maybe never changing when 'finished'.

I have talent for neither.  I'm attempting to transcribe many public domain
compositions and make many of them publicly available.   A set of such
scores takes me months to years to complete.  I expect to provide both the
ly source and pdf result.  Without upward compatibility, these are obsolete
before they are ready for posting.  Mutopia suffers from such obsolescence.

I also use Lily to transpose published charts for my personal use, finding
ways to improve them as they are used.

So I represent a user quite different from a composer.  Spending time to
repetitively adapt many ly files is overly burdensome.

                                    - Bruce