melismatic left-alignment (and extenders) with \lyricmode

From: Monk Panteleimon
Subject: melismatic left-alignment (and extenders) with \lyricmode
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 19:34:39 -0400

Okay... Having reviewed previous pieces, I see that even lyricmode doesn't
get the extenders right for every melisma, but only attaches the lyrics to a
single voice and its melismata (just like \lyricsto and \addlyrics). I just
didn't have a piece that showed the limitations of this situation so clearly
until now.

It appears to me that the only way to get left-alignment and long enough
extenders for all melismata regardless of voice is to be constantly using
\set associatedVoice (or some abbreviated definition thereof). If there is a
better way to do this, I'd love to know about it.
Please forgive me if I've missed something utterly obvious.

Thank you.
Fr. Panteleimon