Re: Evolutionary User Strategy - A Compromise

From: Colin Wilding
Subject: Re: Evolutionary User Strategy - A Compromise
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 03:00:33 -0700 (PDT)

This is an important dilemma for many users, I think - we want to have all
the fixes and features in each new version, but find it frustrating when
music produced in earlier versions needs time-consuming manual editing to
upgrade.

Can I suggest a compromise?

I accept that Lilypond has been evolving rapidly and feel privileged to have
been able to use it (and contribute comments) during that evolution.

At some point, though, the evolution should slow down:  the developers
should feel happy with the basic structure and syntax and the users should
be able to expect that music written for today?s version will look the same
in tomorrow?s.

How about making a resolution that from version 3.0 onwards Lilypond will be
backwards-compatible:  in other words, the current version will correctly
display a file written in any earlier version 3.x without the need for
conversion.

For the developers that would mean retaining the behaviour of the earlier
versions, but only back as far as 3.0.  For the users it would mean that
once they had updated their files to 3.0 they could continue to use them
without further modification if they wished.

If the backward compatibilty subsequently became a burden then the
developers could start again with version 4.0 and write a convert-ly just
from 3.x to 4.0.

Colin