Re: Can't set next-padding - it's ignoring me

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Can't set next-padding - it's ignoring me
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 23:23:48 +0100

In message <address@hidden>, Nicolas Sceaux <address@hidden> writes
"Anthony Youngman" <address@hidden> writes:

Well it was ... then I copied the example in the manual and it blows up
on me ...

I'm trying to globally over-ride the next-padding property to squeeze
more systems on a page (ie get the entire piece on one page and not have
an orphan system on page 2). There's an example in the manual about
using \outputProperty which I've copied but it refuses to work.

     \outputProperty #"Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn"
#'line-break-system-details #'((next-padding . 5))

I've tried it in the \score context, the \paper and the \layout context.
It blows up every time with "unrecognized escaped string
outputProperty". What am I doing wrong?

You're trying to set a padding property for the whole book, with an
operator which aims at tweaking a single system padding.

But that doesn't explain why lily blows up complaining that it doesn't recognise \outputProperty :-(

Have you read
carefuly chapter 11 "Spacing issues" in the manual before asking here?
More precisely: 11.3.3 Vertical spacing between systems (does this title
rings a bell?)

Actually, looking at 11.3.4, is it possible that it could be \overrideProperty, not \outputProperty?

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.9/Documentation/user/lilypond/Vertical-spacin
g-between-systems.html

The paper property to tune are between-system-padding and
between-system-space.

I haven't got the output in front of me, but with "annotate-spacing = ##t" it tells me that next-padding is 2.8, and I wanted to change it ...

\paper {
 between-system-padding = 5
 between-system-space = 0.1
 annotate-spacing = ##t
 ragged-bottom=##t
}

I'll try that, but I've probably done that already (as I say, I don't have it in front of me :-( I'll let you know what happens, but I've probably already set both of those to 0 ... if I haven't, it's because of the following ...

NB - whoever coded annotate-spacing - is it possible to code it so the information doesn't clash? Most of it is illegible because it one bit of information opaquely overprints another bit with the result that maybe 80% is whited out :-(

Cheers,
Wol
as Lies-to-People.