Re: Can't set next-padding - it's ignoring me

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: Can't set next-padding - it's ignoring me
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 11:14:55 +0200

"Anthony W. Youngman" <address@hidden> writes:

> Actually, looking at 11.3.4, is it possible that it could be
> \overrideProperty, not \outputProperty?

Right.
\overrideProperty is a music function, and thus cannot be used in
\layout or \paper blocks. Use it in your music.

>>http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.9/Documentation/user/lilypond/Vertical-spacin
>>g-between-systems.html
>>
>>The paper property to tune are between-system-padding and
>>between-system-space.
>
> I haven't got the output in front of me, but with "annotate-spacing =
> ##t" it tells me that next-padding is 2.8, and I wanted to change it

There's something not quite intuitive about padding and space lengths. It
seems that both are not expressed in the same unit, so when you specify
padding=5 it actually shows 2.8. Space lengths show as expected.

>>\paper {
>>  between-system-padding = 5
>>  between-system-space = 0.1
>>  annotate-spacing = ##t
>>  ragged-bottom=##t
>>}
>
> I'll try that, but I've probably done that already (as I say, I don't
> have it in front of me :-( I'll let you know what happens, but I've
> probably already set both of those to 0 ... if I haven't, it's because
> of the following ...

Please try the example before saying that it does not work. And play
with it by using different values, to figure out how the spacing of
systems works it ragged condition.

BTW, setting space to 0 may not be a good idea, as I seem to recall that
space is used as a denominator somewhere in the spacing algo.

> NB - whoever coded annotate-spacing - is it possible to code it so the
> information doesn't clash? Most of it is illegible because it one bit
> of information opaquely overprints another bit with the result that
> maybe 80% is whited out :-(

This is possible, but as with all bug reports, an example showing the
problem is somewhat required to fix it. And you didn't mention what
version you're using. (The look of annotations changed during 2.9)

nicolas