selecting fonts -- partial solution (Mac OS X)

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: selecting fonts -- partial solution (Mac OS X)
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 11:03:40 -0400

Hello, all!

There have been a number of discussions about this recently -- including several threads I started myself (and to which am still waiting for a response)... ;-)

In any case, I've been doing some digging around, and I just wanted to pass on some of my findings, in case it helps anyone else. [BTW: I'm sorry if this doesn't help anyone not working on Mac OS X 10.4.x or Lilypond 2.9.x, which is the basis for all these findings -- maybe something will be of some help on other OSes and other Lilypond versions...]

1. Fonts may be selected directly in a \markup using

\markup { \override #'(font-name . "FAMILY NAME") "my font-ed markup" }

where "FAMILY NAME" is the name found by opening the font in FontBook, showing Font Info (Apple-I), and then looking at the "Family" line. No need to build a pango-tree, etc.!!

2. So far, I have determined that .dfont and Font Suitcase formats work fine, and that in particular ***Windows TrueType fonts (.ttf) DO NOT***. [If you have a .ttf font that you absolutely must have in your Lilypond output, download FontForge and generate a Font Suitcase or .dfont version from the TTF original.] Unfortunately, many of the fonts included with Mac OS X (by Apple themselves) are .ttf files, and so these are, as far as I can tell, unavailable to Lilypond without extra effort.

I haven't yet figured out how to force the selection of a particular weight within a family, but if I do, I'll be sure to advise the list.

Hope this helps someone else!
Kieren.