Re: Making grace notes take up no space

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Making grace notes take up no space
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 19:43:51 -0500

On 7/15/06, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi, Trevor:

> In general, is there a way to tell any arbitrary grob (like time
> signatures or barlines or whatever) to take up no space without
> setting strict-note-spacing to true?

Recently, I've fallen hard for

        \once \override MyGrob #'X-extent = #'(0 . 0)

Hi Kieren,

I stumbled across X-extent leafing through possible solutions in the
program reference, but just couldn't get it to do what I was
expecting. Here was one attempt ...

%%% BEGIN %%%

\version "2.9.11"

\new Score <<
  \new Staff {
     c'4
     \override NoteHead #'X-extent = #'(0 . 0)
     \override Stem #'X-extent = #'(0 . 0)
     \override Beam #'X-extent = #'(0 . 0)
     \grace {
        c'16[ c'16 c'16 c'16]
     }
     \revert NoteHead #'X-extent
     \revert Stem #'X-extent
     \revert Beam #'X-extent
     c'4 c'4 c'4
  }
  \new Staff {
     c'8 c'8 c'8 c'8 c'8 c'8 c'8 c'8
  }

... which seems to have no effect, even though everything's syntactically right.

I'm missing something obvious? Do you have a fun snippet or two I
could look at to get the ball rolling?

(And, thank you!)

--
Trevor Bača