Re: Dynamics above/below bar lines?

From: Markus Schneider
Subject: Re: Dynamics above/below bar lines?
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 09:12:49 +0200

I'm not shure if I'm getting what you want exacty but you can put your
dynamics on top of the staff with:

\override DynamicLineSpanner #'direction = #UP

If dynamic text(s) have to be on top or below a barline (as you said) I'd
use a rehearsal mark for this...

e.g.
\mark \markup { \dynamic mf }

You can put this mark below the staff with (it will be on top by default):

\override Score.RehearsalMark #'direction = #DOWN

Downside to this approch is of course that a second RehearsalMark (like a
"real" one, a segno/coda sign or a fermata) can't be at the same barline. To
accomplisg this, you have to resort to scheme programming (AFAIK).

For resolving spacing issues with dynamic texts, you might be interested in
this:
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=200 (Resolve dynamics clashing)

Markus

P.S. See example for details:

%%% BEGIN OF SNIPPET
\version "2.9.11"

topDyn = { \override DynamicLineSpanner #'direction = #UP }
lowDyn = { \revert DynamicLineSpanner #'direction }
lowRMOnce = { \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'direction = #DOWN }
topRMOnce = { \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'direction = #UP }

dynRMarkSize = { \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'font-size = #-0.2 }

mfRMarkD = {
  \dynRMarkSize
  \lowRMOnce
  \mark \markup { \dynamic mf }