Update on changing header fonts

From: Michael J Millett
Subject: Update on changing header fonts
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 15:01:02 -0500

I wanted to post an update of my attempt at changing the fonts in the headers, since it might be helpful to other non-programmers like myself. It's been a real education!

Writing this code into the header part of an LP file, then running it in LP, produced a long list of fonts that are available to LP:

#(ly:font-config-display-fonts)

Here is a short example of what it looked like:

family AppleGothic
 AppleGothic:style=Regular
family Osaka
 Osaka:style=Regular-Mono
family Century Schoolbook L
 Century Schoolbook L:style=Bold
family Century Schoolbook L
 Century Schoolbook L:style=Italic
family Helvetica CY
Helvetica CY:style=Plain,Simple,Standard,Normale,Standaard,Normal,Texto com˙n,Almindelig,Texto Normal

Not all the fonts on my system got listed or seem to be available. I don't know why that is or what to do about it; That will have to be a project for later. The font I really wanted to use, Goudy, was not one that was listed as being available.

Cutting and pasting from the list into an LP file miraculously produced a font change. The name from the list that LP wanted was the word after "family". Here is the code for an absurd but working example:

\header {
title = \markup { \override #'(font-name . "F u t u r a ") "FEUILLET D'ALBUM"} composer = \markup { \override #'(font-name . "A m e r i c a n T y p e w r i t e r ") "JS Bach" } }

Here is the oddity: Notice that in the font names, a space exists between each later. I would never have guessed this as a possibility.

Thanks to everyone for your help and leading me in the right direction.

And now for my next act: Getting midi2ly to work in the Terminal. Please stay tuned . . .

Michael