Re: help with custom markup command?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: help with custom markup command?
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 12:30:40 -0700

Please keep lilypond questions on the mailist.

Monk Panteleimon wrote:
Yes, I've been looking at the 2.9 docs, and I see that they are quite
clearly written, but it's still pretty hard for me, being a non-programmer. Maybe I can submit some more specific questions.

I think that everything can be solved with this advice: ignore 12.4 entirely, and just look at the last example in 12.1.2. I'll add some text to 12.4 about simple markup substitution.

(I can't remember exactly what it was you wanted to do, but I had the impression that it was simple and was most easily created like the example in 12.1.2)

Let's say in the "smallcaps" example in section 12.4.3 we wanted to employ
the functions represented in lilypond syntax by  \justify and by \override
#'(line-width . 60) Where would they go? I tried imitating the syntax for the font-shape in the
example, but that didn't work.  I tried similar sytntax but replacing
"layout" instead of "props" too.
I couldn't get either justification or line-width to work in a simple markup
written in scheme syntax (a-la 12.4.1) either. #:justify made the whole
thing go south, and besides the text in those examples was all strings and
strings don't justify in markups. I think I might be able to get it from there if someone can help me with
that one question.

Am I correct in my conclusion that only a #(define-markup-command (foo and not a foo = #(markup .. can take a (markup?).

Yes. Err... actually, I'm not sure. This is why you should keep emails on the mailist.

- Graham