Re: lyrics running wider than the staff

From: Michael Haynie
Subject: Re: lyrics running wider than the staff
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 20:24:14 -0400

The Score.PaperColumn doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect on the output (irrespective of placement in layout or score blocks). However, the section also mentions having lyrics avoid barlines by setting several layout properties:

\layout {
\context {
\Lyrics
\consists "Bar_engraver"
\consists "Separating_line_group_engraver"
\override BarLine #'transparent = ##t

On several sample scores, this greatly improves the visual appearance of the work. Now for the difficult part -- I have 493 scores to adjust this way. I can certainly write an emacs macro to insert the context settings into the layout section, but I wonder if it's possible to handle this more globally. Is there a way to define something like a music expression that can be included here? Suppose I want to add another setting, like:

\context { \RemoveEmptyStaffContext }

It would be nice to just edit a master file and have all 500 (I keep adding new ones) songs updated.

Any ideas?

Thanks.