Running PY utiities

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Running PY utiities
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 21:21:28 -0700 (PDT)

Many of the utilities like convert-ly and midi2lp and musicxml2lp, etc. end
with a ".py" file extension.  Do I need to install a program that runs ".py"
files on my machine, or was this installed when I installed lilypond?

Usually programs end with ".exe" and my machine knows how to run them, these
dont, and I have some midi files I want to convert into lilypond.  It's
Windows XP, I have a feeling something is missing here.  If I need to
install something, is it free? and where do I get it?

I could not find anything in the user manual about what the .py file
extension is and .py files on my machine currently show an icon that is
usually used for unknown file types.  Also midi2ly fails to run.

thanks