winxp - delay and filenames

From: David Griffel
Subject: winxp - delay and filenames
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 20:50:52 +0100

I've just started to use lilypond 2.8.5 installed on WinXP (not using
cygwin).  I have a couple of simple questions about running under windows.

1. Even with a very small input file, I find a delay of 4-5 seconds after invoking lilypond before I see anything happening. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? It's the same whether I type "lilypond filename" in a console window, or invoke lilypond through an editor interface. I've used Latex a lot, which seems to work much faster - but then music processing is more complicated than text.

2.  It seems that lilypond can read files with long names, but it writes
.ps and .pdf files in 8+4 format. So if I use a filename with more than 8 characters, the output files have apparently different names. Is there any way to get it to output .ps files with the same name as the input file?

Thanks in advance for any answers
David Griffel