Re: Fixing a font size

From: Rick Hansen (aka RickH)
Subject: Re: Fixing a font size
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 18:26:22 -0700 (PDT)

Graham,

I'm getting the results I want, my idea is to never change the global staff
size it will stay at 20 always across all the songs.  Then I change the "-3"
below to a variable that will let me scale just the music portion of each
song, leaving my headings at a fixed and consistent size.  Try running this
file twice without changing the global staff but do change the "-3" below to
perhaps "-10".  You will notice that the headings in both cases stay the
same size (what I want), but the music scales to fit the page below the
heading (also what I want).  The idea in the end was to have a template
where I can tweek the flow of the music without affecting my headings.  So I
have a consistent amount of heading on each page and a consistent amount of
working space below it for music.  Being able to reduce/enlarge only the
music portion allows me to "best fit" the music on the page from
song-to-song without causing the headings to look different on each page
"ransome note effect".

Of course, changing the global staff size will change everything, but my
intention is to leave that the same for my whole book and just adjust the
staff-space property to get best fit music flow from song to song.  I'll
keep the set-global statement in the template.ly file, and pass in a scaling
factor from each song.ly file into the template to set staff-space property,
then I just \include template.ly into the bottom of each song file.

thanks for looking
Rick