Re: triangle chord notation

From: Eyolf Ostrem
Subject: Re: triangle chord notation
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 22:58:50 +0200

On Wed 02 August 2006 22:20, Paul Scott wrote:
> What is everybody's opinion as to whether the triangle means major chord
> or means major seventh chord.  I even saw documentation saying it meant
> (major) 6/9.

My opinion is that it's an abomination which should be avoided - not primarily
because of the ambiguity (which I don't feel strongly myself; to me it means
maj7), but because of the redundancy: why introduce a separate symbol - an
ambiguous one at that (although there are subcultures where it is common) -
when there is a notation with next-to-ISO status, such as maj7?
Especially in the days of guitar tabs, the odd, strange, weird, jazzy symbols
make a LP lead sheet look odd/antiquated.
I know one can redefine it, so I shouldn't complain, but in general I think
the chord notation system is the weakest area in Lilypond.

Eyolf

--
In short, at least give the penguin a fair viewing. If you still don't
like it, that's ok: that's why I'm boss. I simply know better than you do.