Re: triangle chord notation

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: triangle chord notation
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 16:06:04 -0400

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 14:00:14 +0200, Johannes Schöpfer wrote:

>> are
>> >>

>> > Yes, but (a) the "o" can mean the diminished fifth only,
>> Not correctly.  The circle always means fully diminished and the slashed
>> circle means half diminished.  I agree that it is potentially confusing
>> and this a good reason for using 7b9.
>> >  or the full
>
> a chord without extension is a chord with three voices e.g. "c"="c e g".
> so "c/o" should be "c es ges" and "c/o7 should be "c es ges beses". this
> means that theoretically "c/o" an "c/o(with slash)" have the same thre
> notes without 7.
>
> johnny

Wrong.  Cm7b5 is sometimes called a half diminished seventh, after Walter
Piston.  The "o" abbreviation has a slash *through* it for that one.
The "o" otherwise is an abbreviation for the diminished triad with
diminished seventh, and it is written as either dim or dim7 if you don't
use the 'o'. It would make sense to make dim just the triad without the
seventh, but that generally isn't done.  If you just want the triad, write
Cmb5 or Cdim omit7, but in pop music you never do just want the triad.
That's why there's no way to write it straightforwardly.  daveA

--
Free download of technical exercises worth a lifetime of practice:
"Dynamic Guitar Technique": http://www.openguitar.com/instruction.html