Instrument Transposition 'Leakage' To Other Instruments

From: Will Oram
Subject: Instrument Transposition 'Leakage' To Other Instruments
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 03:22:42 -0400

Take the following snippet. There are two staves; the second one transposes in MIDI using \transposition a , whilst the first does not. Process it in 2.8.4 and listen to the generated MIDI. It clearly sounds like crap; this is because the first instrument is being transposed like the second.

\simultaneous {
                \new Staff <<
                        \new Voice { \InstrumentI }

                \new Staff <<
                        \partcombine
                                \relative c'' { \InstrumentIIA }
                                \relative g' { \InstrumentIIB }

}

\layout {}

\midi { }

% end snippet

Now, I know why this osmosis happens. If both \InstrumentIIA and \InstrumentIIB include \transposition a , this problem occurs. Delete it from \InstrumentIIB, and \InstrumentI sounds at concert pitch.

My question is: is this a bug? This is not the first time this has happened to me when writing up a score, and it's taken many days to pinpoint the cause. If it's intentional, it's not logical.

I have to smile and remember
when you accuse me of that smell
                       _   |  WILL ORAM
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )  |  spamguy (at) foxchange . com
 - against HTML email  X   |  wro1 (at) cwru . edu
             & vCards / \  |
                           |  AIM spamguy21
(ABOVE: Magnetic poetry #3)