Re: triangle chord notation

From: Eyolf Ostrem
Subject: Re: triangle chord notation
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 17:48:54 +0200

On Sat 05 August 2006 09:22, you wrote:
> > I'm tempted to suggest a sponsorship for a revision of the chord name
> > system - any takers?
>
> i would support it with some amount of money.
>
> here is a pdf i posted some time ago on the wrong list:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2006-07/pdfsOyxfTe7HO.pdf
>
> are there any chordsymbols and corresponding notes you disagree with?

It looks good. Some comments:

ma/mi: I'd prefer "maj" and "m", partly because in my experience those are
more common names, partly because it makes them look more different, and
partly because it gives the visual cue that 'maj' is a more special chord
than the "almost normal" m).

parentheses - I don't think they are necessary around (add9), (b5) etc.

horizontal/vertical ordering of additions: personally, I prefer the
horizontal, linear style, but it's no killing matter.

dim/aug - I've touched upon this in previous posts: I don't mind neither
the "o" nor the "+", but I prefer dim, dim7, b5, and aug.

sus  - the 4 or 2 should definitely be written out, and Csus2 allowed a place,
instead of Cadd9omit3 (at least when it is used as a suspension).

slash chords - lowercase bass notes. Instead of "C bass" I've usuallly written
this as a slash chord without a chord: "/c", but as a standalone chord
name, "C bass" is fine.

A personal preference of mine is to write E7#9 as E7b10. I know, it's wrong
and nobody else does it, but it just feels all wrong to regard that last step
as a raised 9nth, when it in fact functions - at least in blues - as a
simultaneous major and minor third/tenth step. I don't expect this to be part
of any official system, though...

Other than that, I think it's a good list.
So, now all we need is a sponsorship deal with the developers...

Eyolf

--
Princeton's taste is sweet like a strawberry tart.  Harvard's is a subtle
taste, like whiskey, coffee, or tobacco.  It may even be a bad habit, for