Re: triangle chord notation

From: Eyolf Ostrem
Subject: Re: triangle chord notation
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 13:27:47 +0200

On Sun 06 August 2006 13:05, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 09:40:08AM +0200, "Johannes Schöpfer" wrote:
> >... it is maybe not useful that lilypond plays the chords in the
> > midi-files. "band-in-a-box" is a program only for this reason and has
> > also problems to do it correctly.
>
> Actually, this is something I really do like about LilyPond. I don't
> play piano or guitar, and the quickest way I have to experiment with
> chords progressions when composing is to dump them into LilyPond (both
> in a chord symbols context and as notation) and begin experimenting
> from there. ãthe fact that I can type in a progression and hear it ten
> seconds later is pretty useful.

I agree - if something shuould change in LPs chord naming feature, it is the
alternatives for display rather than the input and the musical function of
the chords. The chord names should NOT be text markup with no musical
content, which would be the consequence of Johannes's suggestion.
Rather, there should be more and better alternatives for display: instead of a
default system (Ignatzek) which is alien to most users, and an alternative
setup which nobody uses, there should be a 'minimum of symbols' style (the
one I have suggested in previous posts), an 'fake book' style (closer to
Ignatzek), and perhaps some more, and the Ignatzek style should be kept, if
only to ensure backward compatibility and keep people's exception tables from
breaking.

> While I'm at it, does anyone know of any other Linux software that can
> do this? Last time I looked Rosegarden would take a guess at what a
> chord was and display the symbol, but I don't remember being able to
> enter chord names directly.

I would guess that KGuitar and/or KTabEdit would suit your needs. (They are
very similar - I think branches of the same program). You can enter notes
either by clicking on the guitar neck (not your own guitar, of course...:-)
or writing in tab, and then the chord generator will analyse the chord for
you and suggest fingerings. Or you can go the other way around, and enter a
chord name and get fingerings.
I haven't used it that much, but it seems like an able little helper.

Eyolf

--
"Gotcha, you snot-necked weenies!"
-- Post Bros. Comics