Re: triangle chord notation

From: Eyolf Ostrem
Subject: Re: triangle chord notation
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 14:58:25 +0200

On Sun 06 August 2006 13:43, Johannes Schöpfer wrote:
> > the chords. The chord names should NOT be text markup with no musical
> > content, which would be the consequence of Johannes's suggestion.
>
> i don't want text markup chords.

Then perhaps I misunderstood what you meant. Sorry about that. But if your
wish that the 'input-syntax would be equal to the printed chordsymbols in the
output' were granted, it would call for a whole lot of different input styles
too, which I think is a bad idea. The input system should be based on a
consistent application of simple rules - more or less like it is today. And I
think the default output should too. Thus, I'm not sure about your example:

> c:6.9 would print "c6/9" and not "c6/add9", and i think that is what
> everybody expects from this input.

You're probably right about more people being more used to 6/9, but 6add9 is
unambiguous, whereas C6/9 COULD be read as C9add6 (=C13). 6/9 would be a
single exception from the rule, which in principle is a bad thing.

I also took your comment about what the midi output should or should not
reflect as a concession to the problems involved in this multi-mode input.
Thus: "output reflects input directly" + "midi not directly tied to input"
= "some kind of text markup". That's how I read you, anyway.

Eyolf

--
TYBALT  What, art thou drawn among these heartless hinds?
        Turn thee, Benvolio, look upon thy death.