Re: Question about lilypond-book and windows

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Question about lilypond-book and windows
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 10:51:51 +0200

tiM Sportny wrote:

Goto www.lilypond.org and click on Downloads to find packages for the latest stable version, 2.8.5. Where did you look? '

on http://www.lilypond.org/web/install/windows.nl.html

That's an ancient page, I hope it's not linked from anywhere else at
www.lilypond.org.

I followed the exact procedures. And as suggested i needed to re-install.
The enclosed test.ly file on the page gives a fine result in pdf.
Opening the test.ps file in GSview gives the error:

// begin error message:
DSC Warning at line 25:
 %%EOF

%%BeginFont: / %%EndFont
The number of Begin and End comments do not match
// end of error message

clicking "ok" two times gives my a very large list of other errors.

And i think that this is the essence of my my lilypond-book problem. So it doesn't has directly to do with lilypond-book, cause it just passes on the corrupt eps files.

No, this is a completely normal problem with GSView on Windows, see
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2006-07/msg00033.html

now i've installed python via www.python.org on c:\python24 (standard)
included this folder in my PATH system variable.
under windows i had allready installed 2.8.5.

now... running lilypond-book under DOS command shell (twice) gives a .tex file that, when compiled, leaves the complete score out. (somehow in windows lilypond-book starts with shell output "GNU LilyPond 2.8.5" but lilypond itself "GNU LilyPond 2.6.4".

This is really strange. The LilyPond installer should add itself to the beginning of the PATH environment variable, but here it seems that your old LilyPond installation
appears even earlier in the PATH. What does
set PATH
return if you run it from a Windows command prompt?

running lilypond-book under cygwin gives a .tex file with still the same problem. A score whith stems but no note-head or clefs etc.

As I said above, GSView is unfortunately unable to view handle Lilypond's
Postscript code correctly, but if you run ps2pdf, the resulting PDF file should work without any problems. Actually, this is one detail I forgot to tell you about, see http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2006-05/msg00217.html for
information on how to get ps2pdf working (the rest of that email is partly
obsolete, though).

  /Mats