Re: something strange with tuplets

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: something strange with tuplets
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 09:59:56 -0400

Hello, all --

I don't remember from the top of my head
what the common typesetting practice is

From "The Essential Dictionary of Notation" (CAPS emphasis mine): "To determine the rhythmic value of a tuplet that occupies one beat, subdivide the beat metrically as many times as you can WITHOUT EXCEEDING THE NUMBER OF NOTES IN THE TUPLET. The note value of the tuplet will be equal to the note value of that metric subdivision."

So, for example, to set seven notes within a quarter note, you:
    1. Divide the quarter into two eighths;
2. Since 4 < 7 (i.e., subdividing again will not exceed the number of tuplet notes), divide the quarter into four sixteenths; 3. Since 8 > 7 (i.e., the next subdivision will exceed the number of tuplet notes), stick with sixteenth notes.

And so you end up setting 7 sixteenth notes. (Interestingly enough, the same is true for 5!!)

Hope this helps!
Kieren.